Cave monastery with a spectacular location, jewel of the Romanesque and first royal pantheon of Aragon.
In the spectacular space of the Protected Landscape of San Juan de la Peña and Monte Oroel stands out the Old Monastery of San Juan de la Peña, a jewel of the medieval era.
Built at the beginning of the 10th century under the rock that gives it its name, it is a magical place that combines history, culture and nature like no other.
During the Middle Ages, that isolation gave it a halo that linked it to the Holy Grail. In 1675, a terrible fire took place in the Old Monastery and it was then that it was decided to build a new one. To erect it, a nearby place was chosen, called Llano de San Indalecio, a beautiful green plain that sits on a large stone.
The New Monastery is of Baroque style, and inside we can find the church and the Monastery Interpretation Centre.